Feeding Life 2013 Photography Competition
Every year the Society of Biology runs an amateur biology themed photography competition. The theme for the 2013 competition is Feeding Life and the competition is open for entries.
Food provides the foundation to life. Not only can we not live without food, but the wrong diet can have serious health consequences. Biology research and field work play a vital role in understanding how all organisms on the planet receive the energy they need to keep on living.
We are seeking original photographs that encapsulate the topic ‘Feeding Life’. Your photograph could address a challenging issue like food security and waste, or malnutrition, obesity, and other diet-linked diseases. It could provide insight into the feeding behaviour of a plant or animal species including predators and parasites. Or it could illustrate how we are manipulating our diets using GM and other biological techniques. Whether illustrated on a global, organismal, cellular or molecular scale, your photograph should draw attention to the topic of food and biology in a unique and thought-provoking way.
There are 2 categories in the competition, each with a cash prize:
• Photographer of the Year (over 18) - £1000 top prize
• Young Photographer of the Year (under 18) - £500 top prize
Prizes will also be awarded for the runner-up and highly commended entries in each category.
The deadline for entries is midnight on the 31st July.
- Entrants may either enter the Photographer of the Year category or the Young Photographer of the Year category.
- Entrants may enter up to three images into the competition
- Entrants must fill in all section of the entry form which must accompany any images entered into the competition.
- Entrants must refer to the full competition terms and conditions before entering
How to enter
To enter the competition, please complete the 2013 Photography Competition entry form and either:
- Email the form along with your image/s to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send an electronic version of the images by post to Photography Competition, Society of Biology, Charles Darwin House, 12 Roger Street, London WC1N 2JU
If you are having difficulty with the entry form it is also available in the old format of Microsoft word.
Prints of selected finalists from the 2010, 2011 & 2012 competitions are available to purchase.